Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Balcony Garden, at Long Last!

So I think I've mentioned more than once that I was going to plant a balcony tomato garden a la Nicole, but of course, never actually got around to doing it. Well this morning, with a few extra hours to spend together before work, F and I finally got around to planting it. Only contrary to my belief, the garden starting kit F's brother got me wasn't a tomato starting kit, but just a mini greenhouse to plant your own seeds in. Luckily, the two of them had also loaded us up with seeds from their recent trips to Spain and Italy because, to quote F, "I don't want to grow American tomatoes" (ahh, Italians...). So to add to our already wee garden of mint and thyme (sadly, my cilantro was not long for this world, as it attracted bugs and, despite my attempts at thwarting them, quickly died), today we added tomatoes from Italy, basil and parsley from Spain, and chili peppers from we're not sure where (or even how we ended up with them, but hey, I love peppers). So plant away we did!

The wee seedlets in their greenhouse starter kit that, we're assuming will thrive in the Florida sun. And if it doesn't, well, we're probably not meant to grow plants then.

Our super sophisticated labeling system.

The rest of the previously thriving, if I may say so, garden. I'm still in shock that the orchid is alive, considering the day we received it as a gift, it was knocked to the floor not once but twice, its pot shattering, and in desperate need of more than one replanting. You go, little orchid!

They're digging the new garden, too. (Okay, not really, but how cute are they chilling in the sun?!)

All photos by Natalie's iphone

No comments:

Post a Comment