Friday, June 24, 2011

In Search of Smiles

This week has been one of those weeks that has made me want to simultaneously tear out all my hair, throw my computer out the window, stomp my feet, pout, and hide under the covers all day. Berlin has been obligingly gray, rainy, and all-around gloomy the whole week, just to make sure I don't get out of my slump. (Thanks a bunch, Berlin. Thanks.)

But I'm taking a stand against my inner negative Nancy and  I vow to end the week on a good note. So, I made it my goal during my lunch break today to find things that make me smile. And what do you know, this time Berlin came through for me.

Here's a peek at some things that turned my frown upside down on this dreary rain-filled summer day:

My always cheery Marimekko shoes.


A sparkly addition to my bicycle. We were recently told to mark our bikes somehow if we keep them in the courtyard of our apartment building, as they would be clearing out old crap (of which there was lots) and, and I quote, "bicycle corpses" (Fahrradleichen). I couldn't find ribbon, as they suggested, and instead found some sparkly red star garland leftover from last July 4th. It makes me too happy to want to remove it any time soon, despite the horrid color clash.


Cheesy summery "Fun in the Sun!" displays in the most boring of shopping centers. (Sorry for the awful camera phone pic.) The view of the TV tower makes it all the more enjoyable.


A makeshift bench fit for a gnome fmade from old-fashioned Coke bottles and crates.


Silly, unexpected window displays.

 [New! Superman for your skin]

 [This store will not open on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday but on a Friday in August.]


And one from the blogosphere as well: a summer idea that involves my very favorite type of woodland creature.


Happy first weekend of summer everyone! Let's make it a non-grumpy, non-dreary, only-fun-and-smiles-allowed one!

Photos 1) - 7) by Nicole (and my not-so-fabulous cell phone camera); 8) Gnome by Melanie of You Are My Fave.

No comments:

Post a Comment