Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Imaginary July Fourth Party

Sadly and yet not unexpectedly, July Fourth isn't any kind of big deal here in Germany. The last few years, I've tried to bring some American spirit to the day (which until now has fallen on a weekend) with typical activities such as picnics in the park and eating grilled corn on the cob (not a popular delicacy here). But this year, sadly, the weather was not on my side. And even though I took the day off work to celebrate America and revel a little longer in my post-birthday bliss, I didn't manage to pull off any kind of special July Fourth celebration due to the ceaseless rain, wind, and gray skies.

If the weather had been on my side though, and if any of my friends had taken the day off to celebrate with me, here are some things I'd like to think I would have incorporated into my day.

A perfectly cuddly picnic for two.


Classic cocktails decked out with simple patriotic straws.

Photo by Bellafotografica, styling by La Belle Fleur

Plates full of homemade barbecue-style goodness. Only American recipes allowed, preferably all originating from the awesome Pioneer Woman


Mouthwateringly pretty pies covered in fresh fruit. A treat for the eyes and the palette. 


Easy-to-whip-up-in-a-night decorations that don't have me hunting down materials all over town. These red, white, and blue ruffled streamers and paint chip garland fit the bill just right.

Photo by Dana of Made

Photo by Rebekah Gough

Last but not least, I'd indulge my inner grin-plastered-across-my-face child in lighting up and swirling around entirely too many sparklers as soon as the sun went down.

Photo by Katie Steuernagle for ohdeeoh

Here's hoping your day was full of good food, good friends, and, of course, sparklers!


Image credits: 1) Picnic by Mike Colón Photographers, styling by French Buckets, via Style Me Pretty; 2) Drinkies by Bellafotografica, styling by La Belle Fleur, via Style Me Pretty; 3) BBQ beans by The Pioneer Woman; 4) Pie by Mark Thomas for bon appétit via Eat Drink Pretty; 5) Ruffled streamers by Dana of Made via OnePrettyThing; 6) Garland by Rebekah Gough of a bit of sunshine via Design* Sponge; 7) Sparkler photo by Katie Steuernagle for ohdeeoh.

No comments:

Post a Comment